Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Fruit Loop Rainbow

This is the first time I have brought Fruit Loops into the house.  I try to steer clear of sugary cereals {although I have to confess my love of Honey Nut Cheerios - especially when I was pregnant!}
I hesitated buying them, but wanted to use them for a little rainbow craft and maybe a sorting and graphing activity too.

So, here are the sugary little fellas!
They are quite pretty!



Matthew was excited to see the colorful cereal.



He sorted the colors into 6 groups.
{great for color recognition}



We were about 1/2 way through sorting when he realized he can eat them!



I drew a rainbow on cardstock and then squeezed out a line of glue for each color. 
Matthew did a terrific job placing the Fruit Loops onto the rainbow.
{great for fine motor skills}



Finally, we glued on some marshmallow clouds.  I actually used hot glue and had Matthew squish a whole handful of marshmallows onto the glue - I wasn't sure if regular glue would hold the marshmallows, plus I'm addicted to my glue gun.


It turned out great!


Rainbow Centerpiece

I was trying to figure out what to do with the rest of the Fruit Loops and decided to make them into a centerpiece!
When Jillian came home we sorted the rest of the box.  Then the kids poured them into this glass jar color by color.


This rainbow on our table at dinner sparked a really good conversation about Eating a Rainbow of Fruits and Vegetables each day.  The kids were able to use the centerpiece as a visual reminder of what colors they had eaten.  The kids responded to it so well I think I will re-do a rainbow of beads or something non-sugary so that we will continue to have these 'Eat a Rainbow' conversations without looking at a jar of full of sugar!

Linking up to 733blog
Linking up to red ted art



4 comments:

  1. Wow! What patience you guys have! What a good exercise in concentration!! I think we would have eaten them all before we managed to sort them! Love the rainbow and the marshmallow clouds!! Brilliant!

    Maggy
    (thank you for linking up to Kids Get Crafty!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Using food for craft projects teaches a waste of food inadvertently

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great! How old is your child? I need more idea for a 2.5 year old girl who is a curious little one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...