Monday, December 13, 2010

Fraction Snack

This activity is from late November and I have already shared it with some family but I thought I would still post about it since I think it is such a great way to learn while having fun! 

I pulled out all the ingredients that we would throw into a trail mix (almonds, walnuts, raisins, craisins, popcorn, chocolate chips and this time I added marshmallows to the list) and took out our measuring cups (1 cup, 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup) then told the kids that they could put anything into their snack bowl using the different measuring cups as long as it totaled  2 cups.  This was a great way to introduce fractions.  I could see my 6 year olds brain turning as she figured out how much of each of her favorite ingredients she could put into her bowl.  She has since requested that we repeat 'Fraction Snack' so I think the kids enjoyed it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...