Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Borax Slime Experiment


ANOTHER Snow Day! 
{this one due to an ice storm}


Which can only mean another day in our jammies!

My science savvy friend suggested we make Borax slime and provided this linkThanks M!
Yet another cool thing you can do with Borax!
{we have previously made Borax crystals here}

This was a really AWESOME activity!  You have to go buy some Borax and try this!


Borax Slime

1st  Mix together 1/2 cup white glue and 1/2 cup water in a bowl (add some food coloring to this mixture to color your slime).
2nd  Dissolve 1 teaspoon Borax into 1 cup of water in another bowl.


3rd  Pour one mixture into the other and be AMAZED!
The solution will immediately start to polymerize.....


......and it looks so cool!


4th  Stir it up as much as you can and then take it out of the water and mix it by hand.
There will be a bunch of water left in the bowl.

Then have a BLAST! 



{The kids were having so much fun stretching out their slime that, once again, I let them stand on the counter.  After 2 days in the house you have to break the rules every now and then!}

Keep your slime stored in a ziplock bag in the fridge.

Hey Mommy!  Will you do this cool activity with me when I'm older?
You betcha baby!

Linking up to Sun Scholars
Linking up to KimsKandyKreations

9 comments:

  1. Hi Heather,
    Hate to tell ya, but I think you are home schooling the kids. Have they gone to school yet this year?!!! Love the borax slime-we've seen that at the University of Guelph's open house. I think in the chemistry lab or something. I went out immediately and bought a box of borax! Love the picture of Nathan, he's already changing so much. What a sweetie.
    We had our first snow day on Wednesday, it was nice and relaxing.
    take care,
    Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you did the slime in a big glass bowl. Usually I have the kids make their own (in plastic cups) but the polymerization process can be better seen in the bowl. I'm stealing that idea for future demos - thx :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nadine,
    I need to check my 'comment' section a little more often : ) Did you try the slime with your kiddos? I have another cool borax experiment that we will try soon - one I think Andrew will love! Miss you guys and thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Heather,
    I attempted this "experiment" this morning with Kai. Clearly I was not meant to do science! The polymerization (or whatever it's called) just made globs of plastic feeling goo. Had to toss it out and try it a second time. But I had to laugh, the first time I try to be all "Heather-like", I couldn't handle it. :) Maybe we'll just stick to playdough.....

    Keep up the great suggestions....at least I can enjoy reading them!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no Ruth! I am definitely not a 'scientist' either, so I couldn't even tell you what might have gone wrong! Thanks for trying!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! Your kids are too cute!

    Thanks for sharing at the For the Kids Friday Link Party! I look forward to having you back this Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun idea! This would be great for a science party or as a party favor for kids. I would love if you would share it on our Shindig Saturday linky party: http://kimskandykreations.blogspot.com/2011/03/shindig-saturday-linky-party-week-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great, cheap (under $1) project!! My son and daughter loved it!! They played with the slime for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this pink dress would look so great off her and having her ride on my hardon while I hold her sweet ass as she takes me for her first time breaking her in and making her into a complete skank

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...